Mum/Dad % Mum/Dad Place of birth Country of origin DOB Crime Sentence Story Ship Ship Year
Richard Barnes Mum 3.1 Reading, Berkshire England 1825 stealing shirts 7 years A man named Barnes, a publican, near Campbell-town, was killed, while in a state of intoxication, by a fall from his horse, on the top of Petersham-hill. Mr. W.C. Wentworth, who saw the accident, immediately rode up, and humanely afforded every assistance to the unfortunate man. He was conveyed to Sydney in a cart, and taken to the General Hospital, but before he arrived there, animation had fled. Mr. Wentworth handed over to the superintendent of Police, 17 dollars and a rupee, and some coppers, which he found upon the hapless man. A coroner's Inquest was held on the same day, Thursday, verdict - accidental death. Source: National Library of Australia. Trove: one search...a wealth of information. [database on-line]. Citation details: The Australian (Sydney) Sat 14 Oct 1826 p. 3 Text: An inquest was held at the Hyde Park Tavern, on Thursday last, on the body of an individual named Barnes, a publican on the Bunburycurran-road. W.C. Wentworth Esq. stated that as he was coming towards town on the foregoing morning, the person since then deceased, was on the road before him on horseback; shortly after he clapped his heels to the horse's side, and the animal went off at a gallop - the man appeared greatly intoxicated and could scarcely keep his saddle. Witness observed the deceased fall from his horse; and upon his making up to the spot, found him insensible. In as short a time as it was possible, a government cart being procured, the body was conveyed to the hospital. A medical gentleman was of opinion that the injury sustained by the deceased in his fall, caused his almost instantaneous death. The jury found their verdict accordingly. Glatton 1803
Edward Whitton Mum 1.6 Greenwich, Kent England 1751 highway robbery – assault and stealing watch and chain and seal and gold coins life First Fleet. At Kent Lent Assizes which began at Maidstone, England on Monday 10th March 1783 before Sir William Henry Ashurst Knt. and Jerome Knapp Esq. Justices the following prisoners were tried on the Friday afternoon of March 14th-: William Holmes, Richard Buxton and Edward Whetton (sic), each "late of the parish of Greenwich in the County of Kent... on the 11th day of October... with force of arms in the parish aforesaid... in the King's Highway therein and upon Joseph Knowles... feloniously did make an assault and... one watch with the inside made of Silver and capped with Gold of the value of six pounds, one Steel Watch Chain of the value of sixpence, one Stone Seal set in Gold of the value of ten shillings, one other Stone Seal set in base metal of the value of sixpence, and twenty pieces of the Gold Coin of this realm called Guineas of the value of 21 pounds, of the goods and chattels and monies of the said Joseph Knowles then and there feloniously and violently did steal and take and carry away. "Guilty no chattels - To be hanged...Reprieved...To be transported to Africa for life." Edward's occupation was stated as a laborer and his age as 26 years in 1783. Edward Whitton received his conditional pardon on June 4th, 1800. Scarborough 1788
Anne Slater Mum 1.6 Dublin Ireland 1758 ? 7 years Third Fleet Queen 1791
George Billett Mum 3.1 ? England 1795 stealing a horse death commuted to life and transportation Baptism text "Son of Daniell Beilett and Sarah" Convict. March 21, 1826 (Age 31) Sydney Cove, Greater Sydney, New South Wales, Australia Source: State Library of Queensland. Convict Transportation Registers Database 1787-1867 [database on-line]. Citation details: Source: Australian Joint Copying Project. Microfilm Roll 88, Class and Piece Number HO11/5, Page Number 312 Text: George Billett, one of 150 convicts transported on the ship Sesostris, 23 November 1825. Sentence details: Convicted at Wilts. Assizes for a term of life on 16 July 1825. Vessel: Sesostris. Date of Departure: 23 November 1825. Place of Arrival: New South Wales. Source: Bateson, Charles. The convict ships 1787-1868. 2nd ed. Glasgow : Brown, Son & Ferguson Ltd., 1985 ie 1969 Text: Arrived in the colony 21 Mar 1826 Source: unknown Text: The Summer Assizes at Salisbury on the 25th July 1825 had given both George and Edward Billett a sentence of death for stealing a horse. This was commuted to life imprisonment and transportation. At their trial, Mr. Justice Littledale commenced his charge to the grand jury by expressing his regret at the many cases of heavy crimes, which appeared in the calendar. The principal one, he observed, was that of horse stealing, which had increased throughout the country to an alarming degree. Of forty nine cases on the calendar, no less than nine were charges of horse stealing, and in some cases the person charged was accused of having committed several offences of the kind. The severest punishment of the law was therefore rendered to stop the progress of this species of crime. They were held in Fisherton Goal. On the 10th October 1825 a local newspaper reported that George and Edward were on a list of prisoners being transported from Fisherton Goal to the prison hulk ‘Leviathan’ moored in Portsmouth Harbour. They both departed England on abt 30 Nov 1825 on the ship 'Sesostris' and arrived in the colony in 1826. After being sent to Liverpool Prisoners Barracks, the brothers were then separated and George was sent to the Camden District where his descendants continued to live and Edward found himself out at the Field of Mars. A few months after arriving in the Colony, George sent a petition to Ralph Darling dated 8th July 1826 requesting permission for his wife and four children to join him in New South Wales at Government expense. The request was denied. Source: British Newspaper Archive [database online] Text: At Salisbury, the following were sentenced to:- Death:...George Billett and Edward Billett (brothers), for stealing a mare, the property ofWilliam Hall at Westport...All of the above prisoners have been reprieved. 1841 census The Census noted ‘ticket of leave men’, one being George Billett. It also stated that he was a carpenter working on the church. This would refer to St. John’s in the township of Camden. In 1841, the State Records Office has an entry of George Billett obtaining a conditional pardon, one of the conditions being that he was never again able to return to England. Julia Hogan was a common law marriage due to wife and children in England. George was 31 years old on arrival. He was married with 4 children. 8/7/1826: George sent a petition to Ralph Darling for his wife and 4 children to join him in NSW-the petition was denied. 1828 Census:George Billett, 32, Government servant, life, prisoner, Barracks, Liverpool. 1841 Census: George Billett TOL man, Carpenter, working on the church St. John’s Camden. 1843: Married Julia Hogan - This was a common Law marriage as he already had a wife and children in England. Brother of John, Edward and William, all transported. Sesostris 1825
William Jenkins Mum 3.1 Warwickshire England stealing money or a harness 7 years Convict - William was convicted of stealing a harness belonging to Thomas Wyther of Hadsor in the Worcester Assizes on 4 March 1827. William arrived in Sydney in 1827 aboard ‘Champion’ (see Eliza Tully, wife) on Crime: Stealing money Convicted at: Worcester Assizes Sentence term: 7 years Ship: Champion Departure date: 24th May, 1827 Arrival date: 17th October, 1827 Place of arrival New South Wales Passenger manifest Travelled with 127 other convicts Book available William Jenkins and Eliza Tully: Pioneers of Spring Creek Picton/Camden, NSW Champion 1827
Eliza Tully Mum 3.1 County Antrim Ireland 1819 stealing a cotton and a silk gown 7 years Convict. Pyramus, leaving in August 1836, arrived in Australia in December 1836. Eliza was convicted of stealing a cotton and a silk gown belonging to James McCullough in the Belfast Assizes on 28 October 1835 While on board,, eliza became lady-in-waiting to mrs Paling the wife of William henry Paling who founded Palings Music store. Sisters in Crime Following a recent trip to Belfast, I thought it was a good time to write the story of my Belfast ancestor, Eliza Tully, and her sister, Sarah. Eliza Tully was born around 1818. Her death certificate lists her parents as William Tully, a boatman, and Annie McGregor. Her sister’s death certificate just lists a father, John. As you can see, there is some uncertainty here. To further confuse matters, an Eliza Tully, daughter of William Tully and Eliza Kerr (a variant of Carr), was baptised in St Anne’s church in the parish of Shankill, 31 January 1821. Sarah was about a year older that Eliza. The first definite record I have of Eliza Tully is from the 28 Jan 1834 edition of the Belfast Newsletter. In report of the quarter sessions, there is mention of two little children, Elizabeth Tully and John Clarke being found not guilty of stealing boiled beef from the property of Hugh Hogan in Belfast on 20 December. Elizabeth and sister, Sarah, are mentioned in various Irish newspaper articles between 1829 and 1835, accused of theft. In spite of this, they both were able to gain employment as house maids. On 14 Sept 1835, Eliza stole a cotton gown and a silk gown from a James McCullough. She pleaded guilty and because she was “an old offender”, she was sentenced to 7 years transportation. A short time later, on 24 November 1835, Sarah Tully and John Clarke were found guilty of steeling two pieces of calico from a James McConkey in Belfast. Sarah was sentences to 7 years transportation, again as “an old offender”, and John was sentenced to 6 months hard labour. Whether by luck or with some sympathy from the authorities, Eliza and Sarah were sent to Australia on the same convict ship, the Pyramus, leaving in August 1836, two teenagers setting off together on the adventure of their lives. They arrived in Australia in December 1836. It is worth mentioning that a William Tully, possibly the girls’ father, is frequently mentioned in the Belfast quarter session reports in the 1830s and 1840s. Given the sisters’ early criminal careers, I think it is reasonable to assume that their parents may also have been criminals. In various convict records, Eliza is referred to and “Eliza Tully alias Carr”. This link to the name Carr or Kerr, may be an indication that she was indeed the daughter of Eliza Kerr of Shankill. As for John Clarke, I have not yet discovered his fate or what his connect to the Tully family was. Within two years of arriving in Australia, both girls had applied for and been given permission to marry, as convicts were required to. Eliza Tully married William Jenkins, a convict from Warwickshire, 2 October 1838. Sarah married William Murray, a free settler, also in 1838. So rather than spending a life split between petty crime and stints in prison in Belfast, the girls found respectable lives as wives and mothers in New South Wales, Australia. Eliza Tully and William Jenkins had 14 children between 1839 and 1862. Their first two children were born in Sydney, including my ancestor, their son William Jenkins. Around 1840, the small family moved to an area called “The Oaks” near Camden, where they and many of their descendants stayed. Eliza lost her husband William Jenkins in 1875 to a carriage accident. She survived him by nearly 30 years, dying in 1902. Her sister Sarah died a few years later in 1906. Given that both women died almost within living memory - I met my great grandmother who would have known Eliza, I find it easy to understand why it is only in relatively recent times that having convict ancestors has become a matter of pride for Australians, instead of something to hide. Posted by Susan Blake at 11:58 Pyramus 1836
Thomas Collins Mum 1.6 Clontarf, Dublin Ireland 1802 ? 7 years Convict (John Barry, 1821) Denis Pember on 4th February, 2016 wrote: Thomas was a native of Clontarf, Dublin Ireland and was sentenced to 7 years in 1820, aged 19. Denis Pember on 4th February, 2016 wrote: In about 1823 Thomas was assigned to the widow, Ann Terry. Ann nèe Crouch, (Convict, Mary Ann, 1813) had married Thomas Terry (Convict, Guildford, 1812). Thomas Terry died in 1823, leaving Ann with three small children and a property to manage. Ann and Thomas Collins then developed a de facto relationship and Ann had a further child, Bridget 1827. Bridget was named Terry but her father was clearly Thomas Collins. Convict Changes History Denis Pember on 4th February, 2016 made the following changes: convicted at, term: 7 years, voyage, source: Mayberry, Peter; Irish Convicts to NSW 1788-1849. (online database). Sainty, Malcolm & Johnson, Keith; 1828 Census of New South Wales. (prev. ), firstname: Thomas, surname: Collins, alias1: , alias2: , alias3: John Barry 1821
Ann Crouch Mum 1.6 Hertford, Hertfordshire England 1790 larceny 7 years Convict Note 2: Found guilty of larceny and sentenced to seven years transportation. At the time of her trial Ann's age is given as 26 and her occupation as cook. Note 3: Arrived on the "Mary Anne" which had sailed from Deal in late July 1815 with 103 female convicts and landed 101 in Sydney, one of which died on the following day. Crime: - Convicted at: Hertford Boro' Quarter Sessions Sentence term: 7 years Ship: Mary Anne Departure date: July, 1815 Arrival date: 19th January, 1816 Place of arrival New South Wales Passenger manifest Travelled with 100 other convicts Community Contributions Denis Pember on 4th February, 2016 wrote: In the colony, Ann married Thomas Terry (Convict, Guildford, 1812). Thomas Terry age 23 per Guildford 1st of the parish of St John and Ann Crouch age 25 per Mary Ann of ditto were married in this church by banns this first day of July 1816 by me Samuel Marsden. Thomas signed the register as “Thomas Terrey” and Ann made her X mark in the presence of George Greaves who signed the register and Mary Miller who made her X mark. Denis Pember on 4th February, 2016 wrote: Ann and Thomas had 4 children, born between 1817 and early 1824. Emma 1812, Joseph 1819, Thomas 1821 and Elizabeth 1824. Elizabeth died as a young baby. Thomas died in 1823. Ann then continued working the farm. In about 1823 she was assigned Thomas Collins (Convict, John Barry, 1821). They then developed a de facto relationship and Ann had a further child, Bridget 1827. Bridget was named Terry but her father was clearly Thomas Collins. [Ref C1802, page 96] Collins, Thomas, 28, FS, John Barry, 1821, Labourer, assigned to Mrs Ann Terry at Airds. Mary Anne 1816
George Smith Mum 6.3 London England 1812 unconfirmed 7 years Convict. A good chance that George SMITH arrived as a convict 26 Nov 1826 per Speke II. From information I've just received it seems that our George Smith came on the Lady Harewood arrived on the 16 march 1831 he was assigned to a Fred Oakes or Baker?? in Parramatta. I have another one possible a George Smith arrived 3 April 1830 to NSW on the Lady Feversham sentenced for 7 years so that fits in with him being married as a free man (if that's correct) in 1837. I think you can scrap that one as he was not free until 1839. He is not the one who arrived on the Speke either as he did not receive a Conditional Pardon until 1844, therefore was not free to marry without permission. I have been informed that George arrived on the Prince Regent in 1824. There was no George Smith on the 1824 voyage of the Prince Regent although one did arrive on the 1820 voyage. He stated he was 30 years of age when he arrived in 1820 - seems a little old There was George Smith per John 1829 assigned to R Cooper at Goulburn or George Smith per Lady Harwood 1830 assigned to Francis Oakes. George married Elizabeth Broughton (should be Boughton) at All Saints Camden he was 35 years of age resident of Goulburn on his T of L, she was a spinster age 21 same place, with mutual consent witness Charles Simpson of Wingello and James Dovey of Sutton Forest. Any help very much appreciated That was the standard sentence for housebreaking - death, commuted to a term of transportation. He seems to have turned into a devout Methodist in his later years (and after his marriage to Elizabeth Broughton) I know there was about 11 or 12 children and I'm sure that there are many descendant's possibly still in the Yass and surrounding areas. Speke II option There was one that stood out as a possibility though, given the year of marriage in 1837 when you said he had a T/L and as Yass and Goulburn are fairly close together - SMITH, George, arrived on "Speke" in 1826, Ticket of Leave No 37/1293 in 1837 in the district of Goulburn; born Birmingham; trade Labourer; Tried Warwick Assizes SLQ Database - George SMITH, one of 156 convicts transported on "Speke", departed 5 August 1828, arrived 26 November 1826; tried at Warwick Assizes for a term of Life on 25 March 1826. UK CRIMINAL REGISTER - George SMITH, tried for Burglary at the Lent Assizes 1826 Warwickshire-England; sentenced to Death UK HULK REGISTER - George SMITH aged 26, born about 1800, tried 25 March 1826 Warwick, received aboard hulk "Retribution" moored at Woolwich on 4 May 1826, for housebreaking, transported for Life to NSW on 31 July 1826. Convicted at the same court for the same crime was John ANDREWS, but the Register doesn't say if they were convicted together or if they were two separate crimes. ? ?
Patrick Reid Dad 6.3 Meath Ireland 1793 housebreaking life Convict. Transported Guildford 1818. Trial Dublin 1817. Emigration: Arrived onboard the "Guilford" convict Date: 1818 Place: from Dublin Leinster Ireland Note: All from the Stuart or Mid north Coast Pioneers Employed as a labourer, was 5 feet 4 in tall, with a dark "suddy" complexion, black hair and dark hazel eyes. He was tried in Dublin for house breaking and sentenced to life imprisonment. On being convicted Jun 1817, he was ordered to be transported. He arrived in SYdney from Cork on 1 Apr 1818 aboard "Guildford". Convict, sent to Port Macquarie on arrival, later assigned to James Pendergass, son of John, at Lower Portland Head. Had 15 children. Pardon 15 Aug 1835. Guildford 1818
John Pendergast Dad 3.1 Dublin Ireland 1760 1798 Irish Rebellion 7 years Convict. Transported Minerva 1800 from Dublin. Trial 1798. Labourer John Pendergast was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1769, and according to his wife's biographer Veronica C E O'Brien Sitton[15], came from one of the "distinguished Norman-Irish families of Ireland". The Australian Biographical and Genealogical Record, Series 1, 1788-1841 says : "Available evidence indicates that John Pendergast “was transported for participating in the 1798 Irish Rebellion". However, the revolt was launched -and suppressed - in May, 1798, and the date of John's conviction was recorded as being a month earlier, in April 1798. However, it is possible he was involved in the preliminary skirmishes which preceded the outbreak of full-scale rebellion. He sailed on the Minerva, a vessel noted as carrying Irish rebels, which after leaving Cork in August 1799, arrived in Sydney on January 11, 1800. John is presumed to have married(?) his first wife Catherine soon after his arrival, with one son John, being born of the union. Catherine has then disappeared from the record books. It's been speculated that another convict Jane Williams then cared for the infant, before starting to live with John as man and wife at Windsor. No official records of the Pendergast - Williams marriage have been found, but as noted by her biographer, Jane and John were both Catholics, and no Catholic priests were allowed to operate as priests in the Colony at that time - at least not officially. At one stage, official records show that John lived in a state of concubinage[16] He was soon given a conditional pardon, surprising since his sentence was for only seven years, and the effect of a conditional pardon was to block him from ever going home to Ireland. The Muser of 1802 shows that John's first land grant of 30 acres, growing wheat and maize, was held in partnership with James Clark; by 1806, he had 115 acres to his name. Establishing himself in the Hawkesbury district would not have been easy- severe floods had devastated the area, and John was struggling to pay his debts. In 1808 the Provost Marshall had put some of his property up for sale: “Two farms situated contiguous to Cornwallis known by the name of Pender’s farm and containing 60 acres more or less…with 40 acres under wheat.. Likewise a farm situate down the Hawkesbury River formerly Adlam’s Farm - the whole the property of John Pender” (Sydney Gazette, 23 October 1808). However, the sales did not proceed - we can only assume John came good with whatever money was needed at that time, but again, he faced further action in the Court of Civil Jurisdiction between 1810-1814 for other business problems [17]. Eventually, however, John became an astute businessman , acquiring more land, both by grant and purchase, at Cornwallis, Lower Portland, Kurrajong, Windsor and Wollombi. The Wollombi connection is interesting. John's son Thomas also had property there (as well as the Monaro district) and went on to become the second licensee of the Rising Sun Inn, at Millfield (right). Thomas had been described as a "colourful character". In 1840, the inn was held up by a notorious bushranger gang, that of Edward ("Jew Boy") Davis. Thomas was robbed of £13, but he was more fortunate than another victim. A visitor to the inn on that night was previous licensee John McDougall, who was whipped by the bushrangers in revenge for his treatment of convicts while he'd been a convict overseer[18]. In January, 1833, John Pendergast died at his home at Cornwallis, without leaving a will. A legal notice (see left) was published in the Sydney Gazette of February 5, 1833, by solicitors representing his son William, calling on his mother and John Pendergast's next of kin, to show cause why the remaining estate should not be handed over to William (Pendergast's fourth son, after John, James, and Thomas). This notice was issued on January 31st, only four days after John Pendergast's death. However, the letters of administration granted by the NSW Supreme Court for the estate suggest that the arrangement was amicable. (At the time of the 1828 census, William was the only one of his sons still living at his parent's home). The lack of a will is not as thoughtless as it may seem. Shortly before his death, John transferred several properties to his sons John, James and William, and Thomas's son John. Thomas himself was not a beneficiary, but by that time Thomas had established himself with considerable property of his own, in the Monaro district.[19] Minerva 1800
Jane Williams Dad 3.1 Bristol, Somerset England 1775 Theft 7 years Convict - transported on the Nile (came with the Canada and Minorca), June 1801. Convicted at Bristol City Quarter Sessions for 7 years. Assigned as Housekeeper to John Pendergast (and possibly nurse to his son from first wife (?)) Nile 1801
John Curtis Dad 3.1 Daglingworth, Gloucestershire England 1752 forging, counterfeiting, coining . . . silver coin of the realm called a sixpence 7 years Convict. Transported on the Ganges, August 1796. Convicted at Gloucester Assizes for a term of life. INFO ON JOHN CURTIS AND ANN MORAN COURTESY MARY WILSON Posted by nellibell49 ⋅ August 22, 2009⋅ 1 Comment John Curtis was probably born in Daglingworth/Bristol England c 1750 and was married at St Phillips and Jacobs in Bristol to Jane Purrier in 1773. They had 10 children. John practiced accountancy until the early 1790’s . In March 1795 he was tried and convicted at the Lent Assizes in Gloucester on 4 counts of “forging, counterfeiting, coining . . . silver coin of the realm called a sixpence”. He was sentenced to 7 years which was transmuted to transportation to Australia. He left England on the Ganges in August 1796 and arrived in Sydney on 2 June 1797. In his first years in NSW he worked for the Government as a dairyman at Toongabbie. He was promoted to overseer and Superintendent of the Government herd in 1802. John was emancipated on 4 June 1802 and the next year petitioned Governor King for permission to return to his family in England, unaware that his wife, Jane, had died from consumption in 1800. Despite his good reputation and that Governor Patterson, George Johnston and Rev. Marsden signed his plea he never returned to England. In 1802, an Irish convict, Ann Moran arrived in NSW and was assigned to work for John. They eventually married in 1814 and had 5 children (not necessarily in that order). In 1809 John was granted 80 acres of land at Liberty Plains (now Chester Hill), Sydney. Curtis Rd in Chester Hill runs across part of this land grant. By 1821 he owned a house in Parramatta, which he left to his oldest daughter, Betsy, 26 head of cattle and a mare, a 30 acre farm on Sydney Rd, near Haslem’s Creek (now Lidcombe), adjoining a grant of 100 acres made to Ann after John’s death. This land stayed in the family. The Villawood Migrant Hostel in Millers Rd Villawood stands on John Curtis’s original estate. With other ROMAN CATHOLIC members of the community, JOHN CURTIS signed a petition to J T BIGGE for a ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL when Bigges came out to the Colony to investigate and report on how it was going. ( 20 Feb 1820 Bigges Report app p 3943). On Tuesday 16 August 1814 in a ceremony at St Johns Church at Parramatta witnessed by Chistopher Grogan and Margaret Neale , JOHN CURTIS and ANN MORAN were married. This ceremony was followed by the baptism of 3 year old PETER and his baby sister CATHERINE ( Kitty) born on 7th June that year ( 1814) . A muster taken at this time lists JOHN, ANN and these 2 children as still being supplied from Govt Stores whilst the other 3 children were not. The CURTIS children grew as the years passed with all helping out on the farm as they became able . Elizabeth blossomed into a young woman and JOHN READY who lived nearby became interested in her. In 1829 when ELIZABETH was 17 and JOHN READY was 30 they were married. Ganges 1796
Ann Mooran Dad 3.1 Trim, Meath Ireland 1770 Irish rebel life Convict. Transported Hercules I (1802). Trial Trim, Meath Co. 1979. Sentenced to Life. Publican by trade FROM BELL’S WEEKLY MESSENGER LONDON ENGLAND SUNDAY JAN 4 1801 ISSUE 245 ____________________________________________________ ACK WITH THANKS (from PHIL READY’S READY OR NOT ) ANN MORAN. Ann had been tried in Meath,Ireland, during the the Spring of 1800. Found guilty, sentenced to seven years transportation to New South Wales, she too was held in custody to await a ship. On Sunday the 28th November 1801, two vessels , Hercules with Ann aboard and Atlas , sailed from the Port Of Cork. The Hercules , a two deck square masted vessel of three hundred and ninety five tons burthen, built in Newcastle England was armed with ten guns , carried a crew of between 32 and 35 men , 140 male and 25 female prisoners and several passengers- among them Major Johnston who was alter to figure prominently in the history of the Colony. the ship also carried a detachment of the New South Wales Corps, under captain Ralph Wilson. ( pro reel 413 wo 12/9901 folio160 ML) On Tuesday 29th December in the vicinity of Cape Verdes, there was a mutiny aboard ship and thirteen of the convicts were either killed during the mutiny or afterwards died from their wounds. One was later shot by Captain Betts. ( PRO 10 p 260) At Rio after a disagreement with Captain Brookes who commanded the ATLAS Thomas Jamieson , the acting Surgeon General, with his wife and five children transferred to the HERCULES which arrived in Sydney Town on Saturday 26th. June 1802. Thirty convicts beside the mutineers died on the journey and forty three were sick. On landing Captain Lukyn Betts gave his report of the mutiny. He was later charged with killing the mutineer after he had surrendered and was fined several hundred pounds. Five seamen charged with assisting the mutineers were acquitted. I am not related to Ann or John, however are you aware of the relationship between Ann and Henry Perts? They applied to marry in May 1822 and appear to have been together for a number of years (until about 1828). Henry was listed in the 1825 census with Ann as “his wife” although it does not appear they were formally married. She appeared for him in 1828 when he was charged and convicted of selling spirits illicitly. I am extremely interested in knowing all I can about Henry and wondered if you had any information about him at all. ANN MORAN CURTIS : FOLLOWING THE DEATH OF JOHN FROM PHIL READY’S READY OR NOT. In his will JOHN CURTIS left everything to ANN in trust for his children, ELIZABETH, JAMES, JOHN, PETER and CATHERINE. Ann having an equal portion in the rest. To his married daughter ELIZABETH READY he also left 10 head of cattle. This left 26 head of cattle and 2 mares, a certain house in the township of PARRAMATTA , and a 30 acre farm along the SYDNEY ROAD which he had bought from JAMES WRIGHT. These were to be divided as evenly as possible between ANN and the children but if ANN were to remarry ad the childrens’ shares become endangered , then his friends, JOHN LACEY and THOMAS GARTY were to become the guardians of his children’s property until they were able to look after their own interests. Witnesses to his signature were JOHN LACEY, THOMAS GARTY and his son-in-law JOHN READY. Two months after John’s death, a letter came from J MEEHAN ordering him to remove his herds etc from his land at TOONGABBIE as it was now required by the Government. ( NSW COL SEC in letters p 14 reel 2167 ) . ANN had received a grant of 100 acres at PARRAMATTA ( Vol 18 p 169) and was leasing two small blocks nearby one of 36 perches ( Vol 16 pp 339 and one of 38 perches Vol 16 p 231 ) In 1822 she is reported as supplying yeast for the prisoner’s barracks at PARRAMATTA (A 766 p 2 ML) As ANN’S brewing licence had expired although her eyesight had been damaged in an accident she went to SYDNEY on 5 MARCH 1822 to renew the licence. Upon her return she found that her brewery with most of its stock had been destroyed by fire. There was always the danger of this happening for at that time there were only wood fires for cooking or oil lamps for lighting. The fire was put out with the help of several people and in the 14th March Edition of the AUSTRALIAN Ann thanked them for their help. At the same time she circulated a petition for help from the local populace to get started in business again so that she could feed her children. ( petition to the people of SYDNEY from ANN CURTIS ) The 16 October 1822 edition of the SYDNEY GAZETTE carried an advertisement from Ann advertising that she was leaving the Colony but in November that year a court case COOPER V CURTIS took place with the verdict being found in favour of COOPER. On the 10 November 1822, J T CAMPBELL placed a notice in the SYDNEY GAZETTE, “Pursuant to levy I will cause to be set up and sold. one Cow and calf, 1 pig,a small quantity of sugar and sundry household items of furniture . I will further sell by auction at my office in HUNTER STREET at 12 noon the defendant CURTIS’ right, title and interest in and to the house wherein she now resides situated near the Turnpike gate at PARRAMATTA on the road leading to WINDSOR being on a corner of the road leading to the ORPHAN SCHOOL. On Tuesday 25 November 1823 JOHN CURTIS’ request for land was granted ( too late for JOHN ) : 80 acres at PILGRIM HILL, LIBERTY PLAINS. (Bk p 4 D 225 ) . The following year 1824 on page 4 of the 19th February Edition of the SYDNEY GAZETTE Ann’s home was again advertised for sale and she moved to the 30 acre farm on SYDNEY ROAD where in 1826 she was listed as property owner ( Wentworth Papers A 767 p39). As soon as he was old enough PETER CURTIS was apprenticed as a BUTCHER to WILLIAM SHARP in HUNTER ST SYDNEY and on 5 DECEMEBER 1828 gave sworn evidence for SHARP when SHARP was accused of dishonesty. Apparently Sharp was unable to read and signed a document read out to him by one BENJAMIN KIRKBY purported to be an agreement to lease a house which Kirkby was about to take from one MERRITH. it later turned out that what Kirkby had really tricked Sharp into signing was a bill of exchange for 50 pounds and it was only because of PETER being there at the time that he was able to appear as a witness for SHARP. By 1828 John and Ann Curtis’ eldest son JAMES had reached the age of 22 and had met and courted MARY PARSONS born in the Colony in 1811. During the year they were joined in marriage and set up home together. When the Census was taken in November of 1828, there were only 15 year old Catherine, Ann and 72 year old JOHN BRYAN left living at the SYDNEY ROAD property. Bryan had arrived on Sat 15 Feb 1806 aboard the TELLICHERRY and was working as a labourer for ANN. (This census shows ANN as arriving on the ATLAS but careful research shows that none of the three Anns who arrived aboard that ship married a CURTIS. AS THE ATLAS and HERCULES had left the same port on the same day sailing most of the way together it is reasonable to assume that a mistake has been made in the entry.) 1829 saw the birth of a son JOHN HENRY to JAMES and MARY CURTIS and to ELIZABETH READY who had given birth to a daughter in 1826, a son- PETER MARK READY. WHAT part if any ANN played in the events that shook the family in 1829-30 is not known but one day in 1830 her son-in-law JOHN READY arrived at her farm with some cattle which were branded JC on their rumps . These beasts he left at the farm and departed. The next day they were removed by the Police. Later JEREMIAH DALEY who lived at the farm testified that JOHN READY was the one who brought them there. Two years later on 6 October at the age of 60, ANN died and was buried at the SYDNEY BURIAL GROUND, at that time where central Railway Station now stands. About 73 years after ANN’S burial, when the land was required to build the Railway Station and tracks her remains were transferred to the PIONEER SECTION of BOTANY CEMETERY where her headstone still stands today among those of numerous well known early settlers. Hercules I 1802
Robert Lovelock Dad 6.3 London England 1814 Stealing 28 yards of cotton life Robert Lovelock, one of 186 convicts transported on the Andromeda, 13 November 1832 Ancestry's "Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books, 1802-1849" images show that Robert was recorded as aged 17, his crime as stealing 28 yds of Cotton, that he was convicted at Guildford on 9 August 1832, sentenced to Life, and sent to New South Wales on 8 November 1832. Known aliases: none Convicted at: Convicted at Surrey Assizes for a term of life on 9 August 1832. Sentence term: Life Ship name: Andromeda Departure date: 13th November, 1832 Place of arrival: New South Wales I am trying to find information on Robert Lovelock's application to >marry in 1847 to Jane Curry (Currie). He was a convict arriving in >Australia on the Andromeda 1833. I have had a search at state >records in the application to marry for convicts but he is not >there. and on his ticket of leave recommendations for a conditional >pardon is not until the 1850's. So as he is still considered to be a >convict with a ticket of leave I am assuming there must be an >application to marry some where. Could some kind person please point >me in the right direction. I am interested in the age stated for >Jane Curry when the application was submitted. Thank you. > >Kind Regards > >Gavin Gavin, I had a quick look at the Applications to Marry on ancestry and wasn't able to find an entry for Robert Lovelock and Jane Curry (Currie). The only Robert Lovelock was to an Ann Williams - permission granted 3 Dec 1845. also see Occupation*: He was a Shepherd on 31 May 1883 Robert Lovelock appears in the Lambeth & Australia Tree. Mary Pipe provided the following additional information: Robert Lovelock bn: abt 1818 bp 18 Oct 1818 Bermondsey Saint Mary Magdalene, Surrey, England [Source IGI] Transported 1833 to NSW, Australia aged 18 on "Andromeda". Robert Lovelock was educated in that he could read and write. His religion was protestant. He was five foot three quarters of an inch tall, with a dark complexion, dark brown hair and chestnut eyes(?). His distinguishing features were - 'Lost a front tooth left side upper jaw. Man upper, MB inside lower left arm, three small moles upper, bottle and glass and two tobacco pipes. RLAT, heart and two darts and P lower left arm. Five dots back of left hand near thumb. He was a basketmaker by trade in London. He had several brushes with the law, having received a flogging and one month's gaol. Then when he was 18 he received life for 'stealing print' at the Surrey Assizes on 9th August, 1832. He was transported to Australia arriving in Sydney 11 March 1833 on the 'Andromeda 2" Robert was able to sign his name in the church records for his marriage. Consent for the marriage was given by K Robertson of Maharrata and the witnesses were K Robertson and J Nicholson of Chain Of Ponds Received Ticket of Leave 11 Mar 1844 on recommendation of Queanbyan Bench (Passport No 44/0100, Ticket of Leave 43/1737. Source: State Records NSW Index to Ticket of Leave Passports. Shelf Ref: 4/4178 Reel No: 949) Worked on property in Monaro Highlands. d: 1875 at Cooma, NSW, Australia (Ref: 5751/1875) + Jane Currie m: 26 Sep 1847 Church of England, Maharatta (registered Manaroo), NSW, Australia (Ref:V1847381; 32C/1847; additional info. Supplied by Mary Pipe) d: 1906 Adaminaby (Ref: 321/1906) Jane died in 1906 at Adaminaby, NSW. (Source: Mary Pipe) death from Andromeda 1832
Jane A. Williams Dad 3.1 Kent England 1811 Stealing hat, waistcoat and handkerchief 7 years Appears to have given birth on the journey out to Australia (8th Apr 1832) > The Indent states that Jane Williams per "Burrell" was single and arrived with no children. It is always worthwhile to check the Indent when researching Convicts. Recently I was informed that Jane Williams my great great grandmother was > a convict. She arrived on the Burrell in 1832 and in 1833 married George > Currey. As far as I know there is only one child in their marriage her > baptism was registered in 1834 Jane Curry (great grandmother) she latter > married a convict named Robert Lovelock in 1847.Her age at marriage seems > very young , was it permitted for marriages to be allowed at 15, or is > there any record to see if she came out as a baby with her mother Jane > Williams on the Burrell. > Also I am really baffled at the whereabouts of Jane (Williams) Currey and > husband George Currey. Can anybody please help. They just seemed to of > vanished after the baptism of the baby in 1834. Jane didn't disappear after 1834 as she received her Certificate of Freedom in 1839 (State Records of NSW) Crime: - Convicted at: Middlesex Gaol Delivery Sentence term: 7 years Ship: Burrell Departure date: 31st December, 1831 Arrival date: 20th May, 1832 Place of arrival New South Wales Passenger manifest Travelled with 100 other convicts JANE WILLIAMS, Theft > pocketpicking, 20th October 1831. JANE WILLIAMS was indicted for stealing, on the 17th of September , 1 hat, value 7s.; 1 waistcoat, value 2s., and 1 handkerchief, value 1s., the goods of John Cratzra , from his person . JOHN CRATZRA. I am a sugar-baker , and live at the Brown Bear, Leman-street, Whitechapel. I met the prisoner in the Commercial-road, about eleven o'clock at night, on a Saturday in September - she took me to her house, in Albion-street, Commercial-road ; we had before been to a public-house - I went up stairs at her house, and we had some rum there; when it was time for me to go home, she would not let me go, and locked the door; I was there about a quarter of an hour - when I wanted to go she asked me for a sovereign; I said I had not got so much, but I gave her 6s. 6d. - she then would not let me go, but took my hat, silk handkerchief, and waistcoat from me; she said I might have them if I brought her a sovereign - I parted with my things to get away; I got out, and called a Policeman. Prisoner. Q.Did I take off your things and lock the door? A. Yes - she first asked if I would go and see her home; she took my hat off, and I took off my waistcoat, and gave it to her. COURT. Q. Could you not have pushed her away? A. I do not know; she would not let me go out - she locked the door; I could not help it. WILLIAM MIDDLEDITCH . I was an officer at that time. I saw the prosecutor crying; he told me he had been robbed - I went with him to a house in Albion-street; I first went up stairs, and then into a room on the ground floor - there was the prisoner, and three or four other women; the presecutor pointed the prisoner out - I demanded the clothes; the prisoner said she was not the person, and knew nothing about them - I searched the room, and found this property; when I took the prisoner she said she was a modest girl, and thought no barm of taking the clothes.(Property produced and sworn to.) Prisoner's Defence. I met this prosecutor; he went with me, and he sent for half a pint of rum - I had some of it, and he and my landlady had some; he then said he had no money, but he would give me his coat to pawn -I said I would have nothing to do with that; he then said he would go and get some from his friends - he went down, and in a quarter of an hour he brought in a Policeman; I said I was with him, but I knew nothing about his clothes - I was searched at the watch-house, and 3s. were found on me, with which I was going to market; I did not ill use him, nor do anything bad to him - there was nothing of his found in my room; I am married, but my husband is not in town. GUILTY . Aged 20. - Transported for Seven Years . Burrell 1832
Luke Pearson Dad 3.1 Staffordshire England 1801 larceny 7 years Convict. Sent on the Glory aged 33 66247 Pearson Luke Glory 1818 1828 Swan Reach Hunter River 1828 Census Labourer aged 28. Free by servitude. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 155731 Pearson Luke Glory 1818 1834 March Sydney Application to Marry Luke Pearson per 'Glory' age 33, application to marry Sarah Rose per 'Pyramus' aged 23 Luke Pearson, one of 170 convicts transported on the Glory, May 1818 Known aliases: none Convicted at: Convicted at Warwick Assizes for a term of 7 years on 01 April 1817. Sentence term: 7 years Larceny (per Criminal register) Ship name: Glory Departure date: May, 1818 Place of arrival: New South Wales Source: Australian Joint Copying Project. Microfilm Roll 88, Class and Piece Number HO11/3, Page Number 38 This record is one of the entries in the British convict transportation registers 1787-1867 database compiled by State Library of Queensland from British Home Office (HO) records which are available on microfilm as part of the Australian Joint Copying Project. Glory 1818
Sarah Ann Rose Dad 3.1 Hereford, Herefordshire England 1811 stealing flannel, lace, gloves, 2 towels, handkerchief, etc 7 years Convict on Pyramus I from Middlesex?? SARAH ROSE, Theft > stealing from master, 30th June 1831. 1472. SARAH ROSE was indicted for stealing, on the 10th of June , 3 yards of flannel, value 2s.; 1 handkerchief, value 6d.; 5 yards of lace. value 10s.; 1 pair of gloves, value 1s.; 6 pieces of net, value 3s., and 2 towels, value 1s. , the goods of James Wilson , her master. ANN HOPPER . I live with my brother-in-law, James Wilson ; the prisoner was about a month in his service; we had no other servant . I missed some articles of my own- my brother called in an officer, who searched her box, and found these articles in it; it was not locked - we did not tell her we were going to search before the officer came. DANIEL McGILLIN . I am an officer. I was called in; Mr. Wilson told me to search the prisoner's box, which was up stairs, unlocked - I found all this property in it; Miss Hopper claimed them - the prisoner said they were her own, and not her master's. JOSEPH BARDEN . On Saturday, the 11th, while the prisoner was in the watch-house, she told me she bought part of the property at a linen-drapers at Shadwell, and took me to the shop - the person denied having had such things.(Property produced and sworn to) Prisoner to ANN HOPPER. Q.Did you not miss a great many things before I came to the house? A. No; the towels were there when you came - the towels were found in her basket; she has made them into aprons. GUILTY . Aged 21. - Transported for Seven Years . There was another indictment against the prisoner. re the grave pic - Possible this is Sarah Bruce nee Rose, grave is damaged but recorded as Sarah Bruce in Hiland Cemetery near Morpeth ? Pyramus 1831
Michael Spence Dad 3.1 Kinnoul, Perthshire Scotland 1808 bigamy 7 years Convict. Extended story Transported on the Asia, 4 Feb 1833. Convicted at Surrey, Southwark Quarter Session for 7 years on 15 Oct 1832. Asia 1833